Summer Program & Application Process
For three weeks every summer, more than 220 of Kentucky’s most talented and creative high school students are invited to grow and learn together at the Governor’s School for the Arts’ summer program. Rising juniors and seniors in high school are offered in-depth instruction in one of nine artistic disciplines: architecture, creative writing, dance, drama, instrumental music, musical theatre, new media, visual art, and vocal music. The honor of experiencing GSA includes:
- Attending the program for FREE (all students receive full tuition, room and board).
- Opportunities to learn in a supportive community of distinguished master-teachers.
- College preparation, career counseling, and the chance to meet college representatives during an exclusive GSA college fair.
- Arts-related community service opportunities.
- The excitement of performing/exhibiting at the Student Performance Festival at the conclusion of the program.
- Serious fun!
Students are immersed in a rigorous schedule of daily seminars, master classes, lectures, hands-on workshops and field trips. While each student specializes in one art form, all students participate in structured, interdisciplinary arts experiences designed to familiarize them with the joys and challenges of specialties other than their own. Upon completion of the summer program, students become part of the ever-growing GSA alumni network, gaining a variety of opportunities such as scholarship opportunities and funding through the Toyota Alumni Fund (visit the Alumni section of this website for more).
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Residents of Kentucky who are sophomores or juniors in a Kentucky high school or home school at the time of applying. Students attending conservatories outside of the state may be considered, but the parents still must be residents of Kentucky.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Applying to GSA’s summer program is not difficult, but it does require special attention to deadlines and the details of your art form. Review this portion of the website carefully, and be sure to closely read the pages for your discipline in the Art Forms section! To apply to GSA…
- Submit your application and supporting materials (if required) by December 31st, 2012. The application deadline for summer program 2013 has already passed.
- Complete the Recommendation Process in late January/February.
- Complete the Audition/Review Process in March.
- Familiarize yourself with the Notification Process.
We look forward to receiving your application! Call the GSA Helpline with questions at 502.562.0192.